Sunday, November 2, 2008

Electric Scooters Are The Devil

I went to my cousins for the weekend, and I was hanging out with the boys. We first were playing with knives - throwing them at a target, which I was kind of leery of at first but then when I actually threw the knives I found it a lot of fun. I wasn't very good at it, but I at least got one to stick in the target. It started to get dark, and we had a hard enough time trying to find the knives in the daylight, so we ended our game of knives. Then they pulled out their electric scooter and wanted me to ride it. I was kind of hesitant at first and wanted someone to show me how it's done, so Izzy rode around for a couple of minutes. He made it look pretty easy so I got on it and put "the pedal to the metal" (except the pedal, or lever rather, was actually on the handle bar), and the next thing I know I'm flying head first, or chin first rather, into the pavement. I wasn't on the bike for over 5 seconds! I saw that I was headed for the curb and turned right and then went flying. I hit it hard too. I skinned my chin, chipped a tooth (which feels really weird by the way), skinned my toe, and I think I fractured my wrist. I started to laugh shortly after the accident and I got up really fast, or popped up as some have told me, and was like, "I'm okay. I'm okay," and then maybe a little less than a minute later, I was like, "I'm feeling a little dizzy", and I passed out for like 10 seconds. It felt like 5 minutes though. Luckily either Izzy or Ryan caught me. I woke back up and felt really tired so Spencer picked me up and took me into one of the bedrooms and laid me down. Nat remembered seeing this and initially thought that I got hurt from one of the knives. She even said a little prayer when she first heard that I was outside throwing the knives, "Lord, please don't let Mar get hurt from playing knives." Ha ha! If only she weren't so limited in her prayer and just left it at "Lord, please don't let Mar get hurt." :) I remember everyone crowding around me in the bedroom, very concerned about me. Izzy doctored me up, and I felt safe with him by my side since he's an EMT. My wrist was really swollen, so we put quite a bit of ice on it, and later we went to my cousins' neighbor's house, who just so happened to be a doctor. He checked out my wrist, and said that it wasn't a bad break but that I'd probably fractured it. He suggested that I go to his office in the morning and get it x-rayed just to be safe. Turns out I did fracture it. Its not that bad though. I got to keep the x-rays, which I thought was pretty cool. I ended up getting a cast, and I have to wear it for the next four weeks. Its been interesting trying to do things one handed...

2 comments:

Amanda said...

MAM!!! Or should I call you Stunt Double?! You walk on the wild side! :oP

I'm glad you are safe! But please try not to hurt yourself anymore. No more scooters! :o)

mel_peru said...

hey! i havent looked at blogs in a while~ glad you're all better now! when r u coming to see us? :-)